Surah al-Quraysh (Arabic: سورة قريش, “The Quraysh”) is the 106th chapter of the Qur’an. It is a Meccan sura consisting of 4 ayat. The Surah has been so entitled after the word Quraish in the first verse.
It urges the Quraysh tribe who dominated Mecca to serve God, who had protected them, for the sake of their own future. It is one of two suras containing 4 ayat; the other is Al-Ikhlas. It forms a pair with the preceding sura, al-Fil, reminding the Quraysh of the favors that God had bestowed on them.
The Kaaba was central to the life of the Quraysh, being a center of pilgrimage which brought much trade and prestige. Sura al-Fil describes how God saved the Kaaba from destruction, while sura Quraysh describes God as Lord of the Kaaba. It also urges the Quraysh to worship God so that, among other things, he should protect them on their trading journeys.
Benefits of reciting Surah al-Quraysh
- The Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) said that the one who recites this Surah will get the reward of ten times the number of people performing Tawaaf and I’tikaf.
- The recitation of surah al-Feel and al-Quraysh in the compulsory prayers carries a great reward.
- Surah al-Quraysh removes all ill effects when it is recited on food.
- Those with heart conditions should recite this surah and then gently blow into some drinking water and drink it.
- If a poor person also recites this surah before sunrise, Allah (s.w.t.) will make it easy for him to get his sustenance.