Sūrat an-Naṣr (Arabic: سورة النصر, “Divine Support”) is the 110th surah of the Qur’an with 3 ayat. An-Nasr translates to English as both “the victory” and “the help or assistance”. It is the third shortest surah after Al-Asr and Al-Kawthar by number of ayat. Surah Al-Ikhlaas (112) actually has fewer words in Arabic than Surah An-Nasr, yet it has four ayat. Benefits of reciting Surah an-Nasr (The Assistance)
Benefits of reciting Surah an-Nasr
- It is narrated that whoever recites this surah in compulsory prayers will always be victorious over his enemies. On the Day of Judgement, he will be given a book in which it will be written that he is free from hellfire.
- Recitation of this surah in the prayers ensures that the prayers are accepted.
- The one who recites this surah frequently is held in the same status as those who were with the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) when Makkah was conquered.
Surah Nasr, Verses 1-3
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ
In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The Merciful
إِذَا جَاء نَصْرُ اللَّهِ وَالْفَتْحُ
وَرَأَيْتَ النَّاسَ يَدْخُلُونَ فِي دِينِ اللَّهِ أَفْوَاجًا
فَسَبِّحْ بِحَمْدِ رَبِّكَ وَاسْتَغْفِرْهُ إِنَّهُ كَانَ تَوَّابًا
1. “When there comes the help of Allah and victory”,
2. “And you see people entering Allah’s religion in multitudes”,
3. “Then celebrate the praise of your Lord and seek His forgiveness, (for) surely He is Oft-returning (to mercy)”.
Brief summary of Surah an-Nasr
The surah praises Allah for leading numerous people to Islam. This surah is also known as “The Victory” as in the victory of Islam as it defeated the Kuffar and other enemies. This surah talks about the battle. It is said that after this battle people realized the Muslims never lost because Allah was on their side and then many people joined Islam. According to Tafsir ibn Kathir, this surah is equal 1/4 of the Quran. This was the last surah to be revealed, only a few months before Muhammad’s death.
Tafsir ibn Kathir quotes a hadith, which states that Muhammad said with reference to this surah:
In truth, the people have entered into the religion of God in crowds and they will also leave it in crowds.
The first ayah means that with the help of God the Muslims were victorious. The second ayah means that after the battle crowds of people came to accept Islam. The third ayah means that God allowed people to join Islam and gave them a second chance no matter how harsh their crimes are because God is regarded as the all-forgiving
Surah an-Nasr Recitation