Surah al-Qadr is a ‘makki’ surah with 5 ayaat.
This surah describes Laylat al-Qadr, the “Night of the abundant portion of blessings” in Ramadan on which Muslims believe the Qur’anwas first revealed. The “Spirit” mentioned in verse 4 is commonly interpreted as referring to the angel Jibreel (Gabriel). The “peace” referred to is called by Mujahid “security in which Shaytan (Iblis) cannot do any evil or any harm”, while Ibn Kathir quotes Ash-Sha’bi as saying that it refers to the angels greeting the people in the mosques throughout the night.
Laylat al-Qadr occurs during an odd-numbered night within the last ten days of Ramadan, but its exact date is uncertain; due to the promises made in the sura and in various hadith. Muslims consider it a particularly good time for prayer, supplication, and repentance to God. This event marks the descent of the first revelation of the Quran to Earth. The official Islamic teaching is that Muhammad received the revelations that formed the Quran piecemeal for the next twenty-three years of his life up until the time of his death.
Benefits of reciting Surah al-Qadr
- Imam Mohammad al-Baqir (a.s.) has said that whoever recites this surah with a loud voice, it is as if he has lifted his sword to fight in the way of Allah (s.w.t.) and whoever recites it slowly in his mind, it is as if he has been sacrificed in the way of Allah and has died a martyr.
- If a person recites this surah ten times, one thousand sins of his are forgiven.
- If recited in compulsory prayers, all previous sins are forgiven.
- It is narrated from the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) that reciting this surah once carries the reward of fasting for the whole month of Ramadhan.
- Constant recitation of this surah increases sustenance.
- If surah Qadr is recited 11 times before sleeping, the reciter remains safe the whole night.
- Recitation in front of an enemy keeps one safe from his evil designs.
- For the paying back of loans, one should seek forgiveness and should recite Surah Qadr as many times as possible.
- Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) said that for pious children, one should keep his right hand on his wife and recite this surah 7 times before going into her.
- If recited seven times on the grave of a believer, his sins will be forgiven.